Wednesday, January 22, 2014

G

For some time now, I have been writing something like a book, but the process is so slow, I don’t think it will be finished soon. I showed an excerpt to one of my friends and he said I should post it somewhere. And the blog is the lucky winner. If at some point in the future, my dream comes true and this thing gets published, I would just like to say that the following extract is my own work, sooo – all rights reserved and no touchy-touchy!

 

“Growing up – can you actually feel the moment it happens? Is there some point in time in which you are still a child, and in the next – no longer one? I still don’t think I’ve Grown up. I’m Growing older – but inside I can see the little Girl, a bit weird, that no one wanted to play with in kindergarten. But one distinct time I actually felt things would never be the same was when I Graduated university. It’s like you’re in the middle of the ocean, and your life-belt suddenly cracks. And you’re on your own. And you either learn to swim or drown. It still hits me sometimes – the sudden realisation that I will never again sleep late on a weekend in my bed, in my room, in my house, because I had to Get up early all week for school; that the neighbour kids will never again call me out to play; that I will never again spend the whole summer at my grandmother’s flat, playing with my cousins; that we will never again play hide and seek till midnight, or pray for rain on a really hot day; I’ll never again catch fireflies in the dark... They’re now chased by someone else.”

No comments:

Post a Comment